Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hike'n'fly

I joined some of the local flying hippies for an early morning jaunt up Beacon Hill for some exercise and a flight this morning (I know, I know... ANOTHER post about flying). November has been particularly mild, and since I can't raise enough loot for a season pass, I am hanging on to the nice days of paragliding to fill the outdoor recreation-shaped hole in my heart.

Its crazy what people will do to get their thrill on. Icy temps and the grueling hike certainly sucked, but did not deter me from logging a flight today. Beacon Hill is located north and slightly east of the U of U campus, so you hike up Red Butte Canyon to reach it. Conversation with the local flying duders includes such subject matter as previous flights, what kind of a current rig you are using, weather, other gnarly activities, and of course, jokes. Heard this one on the way up:

"Whats the difference between a rectal thermometer and an oral thermometer?"
"The taste."

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!!!
Anywhoms, its nice to see the city you live in from a different angle. It makes everything just look so tiny. Here are some visuals. Enjoy, and be easy to one another.


The launch site


Flying into the gross. Looking at the U of U and downtown SLC.


From the landing zone. Beacon Hill in retrospect.

4 comments:

Tyson said...

That looks freakin rad dude. Next summer I need to try a tandem flight or whatever if I have time and money.

Jelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kiki said...

What about the other joke?

Adam said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOORING.