Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Glory Hole


On a recent trip to Colorado, my brother and I witnessed the Glory Hole. Hold it. I am not talking about that kind of glory hole. I am talking about this old iron mine that is the home to 250,000 Brazilian free tailed bats. At dusk, they all come out to feast on small bugs. According to the plaque in front of the mine, they eat up to 1/3 of their body weight in mosquitoes and moths and the sort. Pretty brutal.

The hike to the cave was a trip in itself. You see, in order to get to the cave, you have to hike through a campground laden with natural hot spring pools. As you might guess, it is a clothing-optional sanctuary. From the Tibetan prayer flags hanging over the cabins, to the community bathroom/shower, it was a naturalist's playground. I couldn't help but wonder to myself as I walked by this dude brandishing his fleshy little stalactite: "At what point in your life do you decide that you want to show off your gravity-stretched cash and prizes to your peers? When do you decide that you would rather be naked than clothed?" Whatever, I suppose.


Our view of Mordor


Nick in front of the cave


250,000 Bats

4 comments:

Mike and Joy said...

Wow. That is unreal! And creepy. Both the bats, and the nakedness.

Adam said...

Look out Merlin D. Tuttle.

Bats are still rad.

Evan said...

You haven't spat hot anything in a long while. Get on it.

Tyson said...

You said glory hole. Hehe.